Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eggos & Egypt

We're well into week two of Gray's new school and overall it's going smoothly. He LOVES going there (which is the most important thing) and one day last week told me bye in the parking lot as I got him out of the car. I think he was a little disappointed when I insisted on walking him inside (not to mention he can't even reach the door handle).

There are a few things I don't like about the school, but they are minor in the grand scheme of things and I try to remind myself that no place will be perfect. Luckily, the list of things I like is much longer.

He's now officially in "preschool" which means his day is more structured like a school day. Each week the teacher focuses on a different subject. Last week was camping/nature and they did activities like pretending to roast marshmallows on a campfire (hence the fire reference I was trying to decipher on his first day).

This week they are studying ancient Egypt. I know, right? Sounds a bit ambitious for an almost three-year-old. Surprisingly, he's retaining more than I would have thought. Last night at dinner he told us all about camels and building triangles (pyramids). Then tonight he brought home a coloring page with hieroglyphics.

I still don't think he's taking great naps in this new environment because he tends to whine more in the evenings and goes to bed 30-45 minutes earlier than he used to without so much as a peep. He's also probably playing harder since he's trying to keep up with the big kids.

Another perk is that we arrive at the school in time for breakfast each morning, so he gets to enjoy another meal besides his oatmeal at home. Once we hug goodbye he immediately goes over to the classroom sink and washes his hands (a requirement of the teacher before sitting at the table) and then he dishes out food on his plate all by himself (their meals are all served family-style).

His independence and new life skills amaze me everyday. I love seeing him thrive in this new place, but part of me wants to stop the clock so it all doesn't go by so fast.

No comments: