Thursday, September 18, 2008

Daily Life Lessons

This is Michael's first week back to work and I've been adjusting to daily life with just Grayson, Roxy and myself. Our big milestones have been:
  • I've showered and brushed my teeth every day (no small feat)
  • Grayson's umbilical cord (finally) fell off yesterday
  • He's moved into the baby acne and peely skin stage of life (but underneath it all he's still adorable)
  • We've been taking daily walks and enjoying the beautiful weather
  • I drove a car for the first time in nearly a month 
I've also learned a lot about myself this week. Like the fact that as much as I love our son, I'm also thankful for my job. I don't think I'm cut out to be a stay-at-home mom long-term and am looking forward to going back to daily interaction with adults. I'm sure Grayson will also enjoy the stimulation of his "school" once we're at that point. 

While I know it will be difficult when the time comes to transition back to work, I do miss the sense of accomplishment from my work that goes beyond diaper changes and serving as a dairy cow. 

As time goes on and I become more comfortable venturing out with Grayson on my own, I'm sure life will get a little more exciting and I'll be able to do more than strategically plan on when I can work in a quick shower. Until then, I'll just enjoy watching him as he sleeps or laughing at the way he sneezes with his entire body, because before you know it he'll be a punk teenager that's too cool for mom.

3 comments:

Heather said...

First, I must preface this comment by outing myself as a SAHM who also works from home part-time.

Trust me, you will be showering with ease in no time, and that won't be the only highlight of your day soon enough. Try not to wish away this time with your baby! It is so fleeting and he'll never be this small again. I remember being excited that I actually accomplished trimming all of his fingernails in one day! And now he's 19 months and that is just a blip in our very full day.

And there really is so much more to being a SAHM than changing diapers and breastfeeding. It's very important work, something I'm sure you are aware of, and maybe didn't mean to diminish, but some may take it that way. Staying at home with your child(ren) is for many a conscious and challenging choice and can be just as satisfying as working outside the home.

I remember those long nights of no sleep, looking down at my baby nursing and wondering if I could really do this. I reminded myself that what I was doing, caring for this little life, was the most important thing I would do with my life.

Lindsay said...

I agree that raising a child is the most meaningful thing anyone can do whether they choose to work inside or outside of the home. Both moms and dads must choose how they can be the best parent and for some that means staying home, while others find that having a career outside the home helps fulfill them in other ways that contribute to being a better parent.

Neither choice is easy or better, they are just different and will have unique implications for every individual.

Just because I choose to eventually return to the workplace does not mean I diminish the role of the SAHM. I was raised by a SAHM who was/is a wonderful parent and got great joy out of staying at home. I was merely saying it's not for me.

I don't think anyone would argue with the importance of raising a child, but I do think women are the hardest on each other when it comes to making the choice to stay home or not.

Heather said...

I just want to clarify that I was not criticizing your choice to return to work. I agree that that is something each individual parent has to decide for their family.

And I agree that you are right that women tend to judge other women for making that choice, either way. That said, the reason I left my comment wasn't so much in response to your choice to return to work, but more the implication that a SAHM couldn't get a sense of "accomplishment from my work that goes beyond diaper changes and serving as a dairy cow." That sentence could be misinterpreted by some (me for example) to mean that you felt that was pretty much the extent of stay-at-home-momism.

It's obvious that you have given a lot of thought to your decision, and your comment clearly stated that you aren't diminishing SAHMs, which is what I wanted to clarify! Thanks!