Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's in a Name

Some of you are probably wondering how we arrived at the name Grayson Mark. After much debating over our short name list which included Asher (Michael's favorite), Anderson and Gavin (my top picks) we agreed to disagree and stopped discussing the name situation for a while.

Then on our last trip to Houston over July 4th weekend, I saw a neighborhood addition called Grayson Hills or Estates or something like that. It wasn't a name we'd thought of or discussed before but I brought it up to Michael and we both liked it.

As luck would have it, once we agreed on the name we then disagreed on the spelling. Michael wanted to spell it Greyson, but in the end he came around and compromised. It probably had something to do with the fact that I asked him about it while lying in a hospital bed during our false alarm trip and also played the "since your BMW project car dream came true how about letting me have one on the spelling" card. Yes, it was manipulative and probably wrong of me, but being someone who often has their name misspelled with an "e" I'm still not sorry I did it.

The middle name Mark was less controversial since it's my father's middle name. We decided early on that we wanted to use it so that made things a little easier.

Another question we typically receive about the name...Are you going to call him Gray? Perhaps. I think it's a cute nickname and alludes to Michael's artistic side so I'm sure it will happen eventually. For now we're using the entire name since it's new to both us and the baby.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I feel like baby Grayson has already changed since his newborn pictures! I can't wait to get to know him better through pictures and your blogs. I love the thumb-sucking...how endearing! I love him already. What a beautiful and precious little baby.

Mr&MrsGreen said...

i have a cool nickname that you can call him...wanna guess?