Thursday, September 11, 2008

Just when things are looking up

After our great night of sleep a few days ago, we decided to venture out into the world for a few quick errands on Tuesday. Everything was going well. I fed Grayson and then we bolted for the door hoping we could get an hour or two of things done before he had a meltdown. 

We grabbed lunch and then hit up Hobby Lobby for their half-price frame sale (one of life's  simple pleasures). Afterward, I needed a few things at the drug store so Michael stayed in the car with the baby while I ran inside. That's when things turned south. 

I got up to the cash register and the check out woman asked, "So, how far along are you?" The one situation I've dreaded the most...

I realize I still have a small bump and things are recovering from being stretched out over 9 months, but I thought I probably looked borderline fat not pregnant, so anyone with common sense would be too afraid to ask the dreaded question. Well, apparently this is not the case so I responded, "I actually had the baby last week and I'm hoping my belly is on it's way down." 

At this point any normal person would try to dig themselves out of a hole and offer up something nice (even if it is a lie). Instead, the check out woman said, "Oh, well it took me three years to lose my baby weight." 

Dumbfounded, I just stood there staring at her. I thought to myself, "It looks like you could still use some work in that department" but since my mother taught me better than that I decided to just pay and leave before anything worse came out of either of our mouths. To no avail she kept repeating how difficult it was to lose the weight as I hurriedly made my way to the door. 

When I got to the car Michael asked if we had time to run by Radio Shack and I asked him to just take me home. I had worried and planned for the baby to have a meltdown and was blindsided by the fact that it was my turn instead. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i got comments like those and then when all my weight was gone, several weeks later. then i got comments like there was no way he was mine, cause i was to skinny to have a baby. take it in stride and dont let it upset you. People are rude and ignorant. looking at the pictures you look great. love yall jen