Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back to the Grind...and I need a nap

Over the last two days I temporarily returned to the workforce for a conference. It was nice to catch up with my coworkers and remember bits of my pre-baby life, but man am I tired. This may have something to do with the fact that Monday alone was a 14+ hour day which was a shock to the system, compounded by the fact that Grayson isn't quite sleeping through the night yet. 

It's not like I haven't been working around the clock at home over these last six weeks, but this was a different kind of exhaustion. Plus, being away from Grayson for so long required a lot of planning in terms of a milk supply. It was a relief to have Nana and Popper (Michael's parents) in town to babysit and they thoughtfully provided update phone calls and pictures throughout the day to reassure me that things were under control. 

This experience was a good trial run for when I go back to work full time. I learned it can be very difficult to work in time for pumping while still getting things done on a schedule. Part of the issue was finding a comfortable place to pump at the convention center, but I also had to work around a set conference agenda that required me to be in certain workshops at certain times. When I was able to break away, I would return to find out I missed out on a great speaker or something else I wanted to see. Hopefully pumping will be a little easier when I'm back at my office and can shut my door and work meetings around my needs a little easier than these last few days. 

I was also reminded how much I love coming home to my family. Seeing Grayson recognize (and need) me is the best feeling ever. He's getting very close to flashing his first real social smile and I'm so thankful I didn't miss it. I'm looking forward to having Grayson all to myself tomorrow and we may even stay in our pajamas all day together just to celebrate. 

1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

awww. Pajama days are the best. Glad you survived your mini-work excursion.