Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Two Month Check up

Today, Grayson and I paid a visit to the pediatrician for a check up and next round of immunizations. He's technically not quite two months old yet, but the doctor will be out of town then so we went early.

I ran into a girl from our child birth class in the waiting room. She was bringing her daughter Ella in for her check up as well. For only being three days older than Grayson she is quite the chunker, weighing in close to 12 lbs. She was really cute (of course, not as cute as our baby) but I have to admit I was jealous when the mom said she consistently sleeps 7 hours at night and sometimes as many as 9 hours. Since Grayson is a bit on the smaller side I don't expect him to sleep through the night just yet, but it would be nice to get more than 4-5 hours.

Once they called us back, I undressed Grayson and he proceeded to go to the bathroom on each and every surface he touched -- the exam table, the scales, the table again a second time, etc. Several diapers and another outfit later, the doctor came in and said that Grayson now weighs 9 lbs 11.2 oz and is 22 1/2 inches long.

His weight is a little small (in the 15-20th percentile), but his percentage of weight gain since birth is great. He is in the 50th percentile for length and the doctor was pleased at how Grayson is thriving. Then came the not-so-fun part...the immunizations.

Grayson had to have one by mouth and three shots in his legs. He gulped up the liquid like a champ, but his cries during the shots made my heart break. As Michael can attest, I've always been a baby about shots for Roxy and this was worse not only because of the cries, but also the bright red face and tiny little tears.

I've never heard Grayson let out a cry of pain before and it sounds so completely different than his other cries. Next time I'm going to make Michael go with me so there is someone to comfort me afterward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't say if you started crying along with your sweet son. My guess is you did! I'm about to start tearing up just thinking about it but I'll try to be a big Pappa! I can't believe he's almost 10 pounds. I need to skype you all soooon!
Love, Pappa