Friday, October 17, 2008

Waking up on the Right Side of the Bed

For the last 6+ weeks, I've been anxiously awaiting a sign that Grayson has taken after me in some way, even if it's small. He looks so much like Michael overall and we've matched other characteristics to our family members:

Face: mostly Michael
Eyes/long lashes: Grandmother Carol (my mom)
Long fingers/nails: Michael's maternal grandfather
Strong burping ability: Aunt Amy (my sister...sorry Aim-O but it's true, you should hear how this kid can belch. It reminds me of you right after drinking a Coke. You would be proud.)
Long, skinny limbs: Pappa Steve (my dad)

You get the idea. Lots of traits...nothing from mama. It's a good thing I carried the child, because otherwise I might question if he's mine. But that all changed this morning when I got a little glimpse of me.

As a baby and toddler, I woke up from naps with a smile and in a generally happy mood. This morning Grayson not only woke up happy and stretching, but he flashed his first real smile. The smile alone melted my heart, and now I am also clinging to the hope that he'll have my sunny disposition. I wanted so badly to capture his adorable stretches and cooing on video, but I couldn't risk running into the living room to get the camera and miss the fleeting moment.

So I've spent the rest of today trying to at least capture a smile on camera. This has resulted in a lot of weird, close-up pictures (like the one above where Grayson is thinking to himself, "what is this crazy woman doing?"), none of which accurately capture his new expression.

I'll keep the camera handy and continue to work on recreating the moment, but for now you get to enjoy today's unsuccessful paparazzi-fest.
P.S. There are more new pictures uploaded on the Grayson photo website. See the link in the left margin. Be sure to scroll through both pages because they didn't get posted in order for some reason.

2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

I can totally relate about wanting to see yourself in your child. As you know, Lila carries none of my DNA.

But I have to tell you, I totally see you in Grayson!

Courtney said...

Let's hope he always wakes up on the right side of the bed. Hope you guys are doing OK!