Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reality Check-up

This morning I had my six week check up with the OBGYN. Technically next Monday marks six weeks, but I had to go early since I'm temporarily venturing back into the work world for a two-day conference. 

As Grayson and I were hanging out in the waiting room, I enjoyed people watching the eclectic group around me. There were several pregnant women there which made me reflect on how much has changed in these last few weeks. Not only do I now have a child, but it's kind of incredible to think about everything my body has gone through in that short amount of time. 

My uterus shrank from the size of a watermelon to a pear, and I went from carrying around 25 extra pounds with lots of  heartburn, waddling and lower back pain to sitting in the waiting room in a pair of real jeans that don't have a maternity waistband (whohoo!). While everything isn't exactly back where it was pre-pregnancy, I am thankful to no longer be dealing with the pains of a pregnant body.

There was a bit of bad news when I asked the doctor if the dark stripe on my stomach and the loose belly skin would ever go away. In her blunt, honest way that I somehow found endearing while pregnant, she explained how sometimes they do go away, but it often takes up to a year and a lot of women have these marks of motherhood forever. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have genes like Heidi Klum when it comes to a post-baby body, but somehow I doubt this will be the case since Victoria's Secret hasn't come calling. 

At any rate, I just need to stay focused on Grayson's adorable face instead of the mirror and it will all be okay. He's worth having to do a few extra sit-ups. 

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Hey, you are back in your real jeans, right? Life is good and your family is beautiful! See you later...