Thursday, October 23, 2008

Test Kitchen

One of my favorite pastimes is reading food magazines and trying out new recipes, particularly desserts (mmm) but really I'm up for anything as long as I can pronounce all of the ingredients. Michael is typically a good sport about it as long as the meal doesn't contain things he's allergic to (chicken/turkey/all poultry) or something he really doesn't like (such as raw tomatoes or onions).

Part of why I love searching out new meals is because it can be challenging to find new variations on beef and pork since he can't eat poultry. We do like seafood, but really great, fresh seafood can be hard to come by at times in a landlocked state. We have dabbled in the vegetarian world of soy/meat substitutes a little just to change it up a bit.

Well this hobby has been "kicked up a notch" (as Emeril would say) now that I have more time to plan and cook meals instead of rushing home from work in a mood to just get dinner over with as soon as possible. Recently I've made a corn casserole that was a bit odd but tasty nonetheless and breaded pork chops with spinach fritters.

This week I tried out teriyaki burgers with a grilled corn and scallion relish, as well as homemade french onion soup. I've come to realize if I balance out the experimental recipes with traditional ones throughout the week Michael doesn't seem as concerned when he sits down at the table. For example, Monday night I made the teriyaki burgers which meant Tuesday required a familiar dish -- spaghetti. You get the idea.

Although he's come to admit liking several of the new meals, I think Michael is ready for me to go back to work so he can get back to eating comfort food. Lucky for me I still have several more weeks of testing out meals from my large stack of recipes I've torn out of magazines. If one happens to bomb, I'll just pull out the frozen pizza I have stashed as plan B and no one will go hungry.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I can attest to "breaded pork chop and spinach fritter night"...yum, yum, yum! Anytime you need some testers, you know where you can find some!

Lindsay said...

Thanks, Kiki! I just got my November issue of Gourmet magazine so I'll have a new stash of recipes to add to the mix!!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if my last comment posted...try Dreft Stain Remover. You will be impressed. It works wonderfully for all the stains of "baby" origin and works well on other stains as well. The Clorox bleach stick works well for white items. I have also used the pen-like side of the bleach stick to work on stains on striped shirts. I can't wait to meet Grayson. He is so precious.