Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Bunny Surprise

Well, I hope by now you've all enjoyed a nice Easter weekend. We hosted my family for lunch on Sunday and afterward enjoyed a nice visit with our neighbors and their newborn, so all-in-all it was a fun day. 

That said, it didn't start off on the best foot. Mike and I woke up to get started on our list of house chores and cooking, but first had to tend to breakfast. I wasn't in the mood to prepare anything so Mike decided to go out and get donuts. The donut shop is only about a mile away so I was surprised when it took him 30 minutes to get back. That's because he brought home more than I bargained for...a dog.

He found an escaped Beagle (Maddie Mae) wandering a nearby residential street and decided to stop and pick her up before she crossed Main (a busy four-lane street). She did have on tags which included her phone number and address, so he went to her house and knocked on the door to no avail. Instead of sticking her in the backyard (since she is an apparent escape artist), he decided it would be a good idea to bring her to our house until the owners could be located.

Of course, I'm already stressed enough preparing for the holiday meal but she was a cute dog and I was just thankful she had on a tag. We're famous for getting roped into picking up strays that have no ID or microchip and need hundreds of dollars worth of medical care. 

So we stuck Miss Maddie in the backyard where she proceeded to run across our pool cover numerous times, not realizing that she's too heavy and therefore sinks down to the water level getting soaked in freezing water. She then peers in our back door window and starts scratching away as if to say, "I belong in the house!" Mike dried her off and luckily she fit in Roxy's crate since I wasn't about to let her stay loose in the house without knowing if she was potty trained. After about an hour of barking, yelping and whining she finally relaxed in the crate.

Roxy seemed somewhat interested in Maddie, but only from a distance. She wasn't very thrilled when the dog went inside her crate, but Roxy was later rewarded with a freshly washed bed cushion (one of her favorite things). The owners finally returned home around 1 p.m. and came to pick her up. Apparently her escaping is a regular event (not surprising since our old beagle, Bailey, was also a Houdini and could find a way out of any yard or crate). Maddie was a smart girl, I swear I caught her using her tongue to try and open the latch on the crate. 

So that was our small adventure for the day. Roxy and I are thankful the Easter Bunny didn't bring us a dog for keeps. I'm just not sure I have the patience or the hormones to deal with that right now, and Roxy for sure doesn't have the desire to share her crate or toys. 


2 comments:

Whitney said...

You had a visit from the Easter Beagle! :)

Courtney said...

You two are really racking up the canine karma points! See you on Wednesday.