Friday, March 7, 2008

Small scare

Let me start this post by skipping to the punchline...everything is okay. We did have a scare this morning that landed me in the emergency room.

It all started late yesterday afternoon when I arrived home from a business trip. I began having some cramping which I thought may have stemmed from riding in a van for 3 hours. I thought it might go away once I was able to walk around a bit, but the pain just kept getting worse throughout the evening.

I tried a number of things to help ease the pain and decided to go to bed early. I was able to sleep through the night and the cramping let up a bit by the morning, but was still consistently there. I was also bleeding a little so I called my OBGYN's office and they told me to go to the ER where we could have an ultrasound and run some tests.

Mike took me to the hospital and tried to keep me calm, but of course I was a nervous wreck trying to hold back bursts of tears. Once I got admitted they started with an ultrasound, which was the first time we were able to see the baby. It was, of course, incredible. Everything looked great and the heartbeat was still fluttering strong and normally, which meant we were able to breathe a sigh of relief.

It wasn't one of the new, detailed 3D ultrasounds, so the doctor had to point out the legs, face, spine, etc. As he pressed around to get different views, we could see the baby moving about as if to say, "What's with all the poking?"

As a precaution, they also did some blood work and a pelvic exam, both of which had normal results. I go back to my OBGYN next Wed. for a normal check-up, but I'm glad we were able to get peace of mind before then. In the meantime, we're relieved to report a happy ending and we're excited we got to see the baby.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Love you, Linds! I hate knowing you and Mike had to go through that scary experience. I am so glad everything is okay.


Maybe the baby doesn't like BBQ chips?

Me? A Mom? said...

Glad everything is okay! Scary stuff for sure.

Courtney said...

I know I've seen you since this happened, but I just want to tell you again how glad we are that everything is OK. We need to get together sometime soon, just the five of us, so we can catch up.

Hey, thanks for sharing the cake with me the other night too! Have a good week.