Sunday, February 10, 2008

Baby Gear Blues

Lately we've been perusing a few stores and internet sites looking to see where we might want to purchase nursery furniture or eventually register for baby gear. The experience usually follows this pattern:

1. Get a burst of energy to research furniture or baby stuff and walk through a store's baby section or shop online.
2. Realize that the modern stuff we like is ridiculously expensive and that there is so much baby stuff out there that is marketed as a necessity.
3. About 5-7 minutes later leave the store or internet completely due to overwhelming frustration or mental exhaustion. 
4. Try to focus energy on something that isn't so daunting. 

So I've decided I need something to reference during these times that will help me keep a positive attitude. I've come up with the following list (since we all know I'm a fan of making lists). If you have anything to add, please feel free to post a comment and I'll stick it in my purse for easy referral. 

Reasons why it's going to be okay:
1. We still have a little more than 6 months to figure this out.
2. My cousin and my neighbor have offered up their insight to help whittle down the "must have" list before we register.
3. Dwell studio/Target just came out with a modern line of baby furniture and bedding that is reasonably priced and fits our style. 
4. I don't have to have pink twall if I don't want to (assuming it's a girl).
5. Roxy hasn't starved yet so the kiddo will probably survive as well.


2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

6. At the end of the day, the baby just needs its parents, a place to sleep, and some clothes. The rest will work itself out.
7. Babies R Us is now carrying a modern style nursery set for a very reasonable price.
8. Ikea, Ikea, Ikea.
9. If you are on a budget, like we all are, you just have to compromise on style on some things and just know that it won't be in your house forever.


(And I say this all as a very anal-retentive research/seeker-outer on the baby gear stuff with my first pregnancy)

Whitney said...

I feel like I could totally get caught up with all of this too. Just remember, women were having babies on boulders, in wagons, and on kitchen tables. They had the bare necessities and did just fine and you will too! And isn't it our job as your friends to spoil the baby with all the unnecessary things? :)