Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sick and Twisted Dreams

Lately, I've been having some really crazy dreams (most of which end with Mike doing something terrible). I wake up knowing I am dreaming, but I'm terribly disturbed nonetheless. Two recent examples can illustrate just how nuts these visions can be. 

In the first dream, I am in our kitchen getting out a pan to cook (no, this is not the reason we know it's a dream) and Mike walks in from the garage, grabs a butcher knife and (WARNING: THIS IS HORRIBLE) stabs my belly. Yes, I am pregnant in the dream and my belly is quite large. I immediately woke up and felt mad at Mike even though he was calmly sleeping next to me looking sweet and innocent. 

Last night I had another one, but it wasn't quite as graphic. Mike and I were driving to a bank and went inside where he proceeded to tell me he had been cheating on me for the last two years. Stunned, I walked outside and planned on leaving him there but instead of getting in my car I got on a shuttle bus that was full of my friends and was headed on some kind of trip. I sat down next to an unidentified girlfriend and told her what happened and that I didn't know what I was going to do since I was pregnant (again, I had a pronounced baby belly). Mike then got on the bus and walked to the back seat without a glance in my direction or even the slightest bit of remorse and started joking around with some buddies.

I bolted awake and felt like I was going to throw up because I was so shocked and hurt. I must have startled Mike because he rolled over and I said, "I just had a terrible dream where you told me you were cheating on me." His groggy response was, "Well I haven't been cheating on you so go back to sleep." But instead of hearing "haven't" I heard "have" and I said "WHAT, you have?!" His response, "HAVE NOT" and put his arm around me which is the sign  to calm down and go back to bed because he doesn't want to actually open his eyes and carry on a conversation. 

I think I dreamed the second one because earlier in the evening I was talking to my younger sister about some friends of ours who just divorced after an alleged cheating incident. That said, I have no explanation why I'm envisioning Mike doing all of these horrible things. Maybe this is part of the raging hormones, who knows? 

I'm already exhausted from everyday life, I could use a good night's sleep without lying awake for 45 minutes trying to clear my mind after a disturbing dream. Anyway, I've heard from a few formerly pregnant ladies that this is normal (which is a relief), so I'm trying not to look into any deeper meanings because what I might find may be even scarier than the dreams themselves.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Oh Lindsay, I think you need a nice relaxing weekend.

I had a dream last night that Rob and I had a baby girl. The next thing I knew, we were on an airplane with the baby, and we were all three completely naked (no one else was) and I was just casually breastfeeding while completely exposed. No big deal. Then the flight attendant brought us trash bags and insisted that we make them into tunics.