Friday, February 1, 2008

Blood-sucking Doctors

I just got home from getting my blood drawn for a prenatal panel. Usually, getting blood taken is no big deal. I'm not scared of needles and usually just turn my head and it's over as quick as it began.

In fact, when Mike found out we were required to have blood tests before we got our marriage license, I saw the flash in his eye that said, "Do I really want to go through with this?" Luckily, he was brave and I talked to him and tried to distract him until it was over.

Today, I could have used someone to do that for me. I had the paperwork with the different tests my OBGYN had ordered, but from what I could decipher with the medical codes it appeared as if I would fill two vials of blood and be on my way. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

After they brought be back to the lab, the nurse reviewed the orders and then proceeded to pull 10 different colored vials out of her stash. I asked if those were all for me to fill up and without looking up from the paperwork she reassuringly said, "Uh, yeah they're all for you." I thought, "No big deal. I can do this."

So she stuck me and began filling the vial train which lasted several minutes. As a form of distraction, she started telling me about her two dogs (a pomeranian and a chihuahua) which I normally would have loved hearing about, but today could only muster up a half-hearted interest. Once the final vial was full, she asked how I was feeling and when I responded, "Okay" she said, "Good, cause you're not done yet."

Yes, the icing on the cake was that I also got to pee in a cup (because I haven't peed on enough sticks and cups over the last few months). But I'm happy to report that after all of this was over, I walked out to my car and realized there was a Braum's beckoning to me from across the street. (For those of you non-Okies this is an Oklahoma dairy store chain with awesome ice cream and milk that I grew up on.) So, I bolted into the drive-thru and ordered up a comforting chocolate mix with M&Ms (this is soft serve mixed in w/the candy of your choice). This restored my spirit and energized me enough to come home and write a new post.

I know this is only the tip of the medical iceberg when it comes to poking and prodding during this experience, so I should just buck up and take it like a woman. On the other hand, as long as I schedule my lab work and medical appointments close to a Braum's, I can just bribe myself with a treat afterward. A girl's gotta get her dairy, right?

1 comment:

kristin said...

ice cream always makes everything better!!! sounds like things are going good, we think about you guys all the time.
kristin