Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sea bands are the new black


I have become a poster child for sea bands. These are sweatband-looking accessories that go on each wrist and use accupressure to relieve motion sickness and nausea. They generally work, but I'm constantly having to explain to co-workers what I'm wearing.

They look pretty normal if you're a fitness instructor or some kind of athlete, but unfortunatly I work in an office where sweatbands are not the norm. I've managed to get a little entertainment out of this condition by watching someone eye my wristbands and then look at me quietly. I wait to see if they are brave enough to question my fashion sense. Once it's obvious that inquiring minds want to know but don't want to pry, I explain the method to my madness and they look relieved that I haven't lost it completely.

In the beginning, I tried to pile on chunky bracelets or watches to disguise my sea bands, but they always manage to slip out into public view. Did I mention I could only find them in baby blue? Yep, I couldn't even purchase a normal color like black, so they typically do not even match my outfit (even better, right?). I know you are all thinking that I'm such a fashionista this is going to be a new Spring trend...well, I hate to break it to you but I didn't see anyone sporting sea bands at New York Fashion Week so breathe a sigh of relief.

Hopefully my sea band days are numbered. I am only 10 days away from starting my second trimester which will (fingers crossed) bring with it a calm stomach and renewed energy level. I'd love if this worked as smoothly as Daylight Savings Time. Maybe I can go to bed on March 1 and wake up feeling like myself again on March 2 (the official start to my fourth month), just like when you spring forward and readily accept the new time on the clock.

I have a feeling it won't be this cut and dry but a girl can hope, right? In the meantime, I'll just hold my hair back and power through. I have some new nausea medicine that's helping and, of course, my trusty sea bands.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I think they are chic and I can't wait to wear a pair myself! Have a good Wednesday.

Whitney said...

I totally saw Christian design a fierce sea band on Project Runway.