Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rock the Vote!

I hope you all get out and vote today (assuming you live in one of the state's participating in Super Tuesday). Mike and I tried out our new polling location this morning, which is a Baptist church right around the corner from our house. It took us all of 2 minutes to cast our ballot which was nice.

The only downside...I was still left with a 30-minute commute where Mike proceeded to rant about how the electoral college is obsolete and why hasn't anyone changed the system to a popular vote? If you know Mike very well, you'll understand that he's typically a laid-back guy who stays as far away from politics as possible. But for some reason his soap-box was polished and in full gear this morning.

I wish I had a video recorder to document how worked up he was getting. There were a few times along the drive where I actually had to ask him to do a few breathing exercises to relax. By the time he dropped me off at work, I think he had gotten it all out of his system. Otherwise, I'm sure his co-workers got an earful since they all sit in an open office several feet away from one another.

He did admit that part of the reason he votes is just so he has the right to complain later (if needed). I understand his point, which brings me to the moral of this story -- Get out in the remaining few hours and exercise your civic duty. If not, Mike doesn't want to hear you complain about our next president.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to might first caucus tonight! It was so cool to feel like you actually have a stake in the process, to have someone actually look at you and count your vote, and to meet so many neighbors! Maybe you and Mike should move to a state with a caucus so he feels like he's casting a popular vote. Colorado is nice this time of year.....

Good luck with your super-human sense of smell!

Whitney said...

I relayed this blog to John and it made him laugh and say, "I love that guy."

We miss you. :)

Courtney said...

I can't believe that I didn't get to vote! I guess being holed up in the house with the stomach flu is reason enough, though. Anyway, I like the blog and I look forward to future postings.

That is funny about Mike. Rob was actually complaining about the same thing the other day.