Friday, February 22, 2008

Wardrobe Dysfunction

As I write this post, I hear TAPS playing in my head. It's the end of an era...the days of fitting into my favorite jeans or throwing on a normal-length shirt are over. I now have to strategically pick out tops that can either cover the band at the top of my maternity pants, or at least cover the open button I've rigged for my normal pants.

Thursday marked my first day of having to wear an "all-maternity" outfit to work. Suffice it to say I was not a happy camper standing in front of the closet. Just ask Mike. He tried to reassure me by saying I looked nice and when that didn't work he commented, "It's not like your clothes don't fit because you've been eating bonbons, you're supposed to get bigger. This is a good thing."

When I got to work everyone told me what a cute top I had on (which is always nice to hear), but then followed up with, "Is that a maternity top?" (busted, complete bummer). I'm glad they liked it because they will be seeing it about once a week from now until September.

I really wasn't expecting to feel such a loss when I got to this point. It's not like I'm a fashionista -- my regular clothes aren't anything particularly special, so why is this so emotional? My mom bought me some very cute maternity clothes, but for some reason I can't help feeling like a little piece of my personality and freedom are gone. The days of effortlessly pulling on my favorite jeans and shirt are over for now, but hopefully not gone forever.

I'm sure once my maternity wardrobe expands a bit more I'll find new favorites (like anything that comfortably fits), but for now I'm mourning the cute clothes I've outgrown. They just hang there collecting dust in the closet... taunting me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. You have the early pregnancy body blues, my friend. Not able to fit into your old clothes but not filling out maternity clothes either. You feel like a semi-imposter parading around in full maternity tops - or at least i did. It takes some time to feel comfortable in "your new skin" but you will and by the time you do, you'll be all big and swollen and reminiscing about the early pregnancy days and how it wasn't that bad. LOL

Hang in there. And remember, all those hormones coursing through your body don't help matters when you're feeling frustrated.

Courtney said...

You totally looked so cute last Thursday night in your graphic print black and white silky top!