Friday, March 13, 2009

Supertechnology

I am currently in Austin, TX attending an interactive conference that is basically all about social media on steroids. It's where the world's bloggers, video gamers, animators, web developers, twitter-founders, and other tech geeks come to set the trends for Web 2.0. Basically, the things discussed at this year's conference will become mainstream in about two years, that's how ahead of the curve these folks are. 

The whole experience basically blows my mind (especially since I'm not a tech geek, I don't even own an iPod other than Michael's first generation hand-me-down). 

But this post isn't about the technology trends of tomorrow, what I'm really trying to wrap my brain around is how Grayson's childhood and entire life will be impacted by technology. Things we don't even know of today, will become second nature to him (probably before he even starts kindergarden). Will he learn to type before he can sign his own name? Will he be able to draw animals and images or just create and animate them on the computer? 

The speed at which all of this technology has changed our lives even in the last five years makes it mind blowing to think about how far it will advance over Grayson's lifetime. And while I'm open and willing to adapt, I do cringe at the thought of kids relying too much on technology like spell check or GPS instead of learning to spell words or use a map on their own. 

Michael and I have discussed this topic several times, and we agree that it's important for us as parents to find a balance between Grayson using and understanding technology without letting him become totally reliant on it. Technology makes life easier in so many ways but when it's not working or hits a glitch, only the human brain can come up with a solution and I want to make sure Grayson can think beyond gadgets to solve problems and live everyday life.

This parenting goal is going to be no small feat, but we're determined to overcome the challenge. Just don't tell any of these conference attendees I posted any of this. They would pull out a modern day tar and feather mob scene ... I don't mean physically, I'm talking about a reputation-ruining viral campaign that would sweep across the internet so fast there would be smoke coming off their keyboards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think about an iPhone today... now think about what Grayson's first cell phone will be able to do.

~Adam

Anonymous said...

I'm still confused by my house phone with the rotary dial!!! unk Sam

Erin said...

Are you at SXSW? I'm so jealous! Hope you're having a great time. I too wonder what the force of technology will be in Baird's life, i.e. will he read all his school textbooks on a Kindle-like device, etc.? My hope is that technology will help our children to think even more creatively, efficiently, and critically. Then again when Baird is in his teens, I hope he will prefer paperbacks over video games.

Anonymous said...

I think Grayson is very lucky to have parents who are already talking and thinking about balance. There is a price to pay for overindulging in everything - including tech. Good on you for gettinga good start on the balance thing!