Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Work-Life Dilemma

I know you are tired of hearing me complain about traveling for work and missing my boys. Although I fly out again tomorrow for another trip, this post is not about that. Instead it's about a conference that seems months away.

I just found out that one of the best conferences I attend all year is happening Aug. 30-Sept. 1 in Lake Tahoe. Now, you're first reaction may be, Tahoe...what's the problem? And I agree it's a great place, but the problem lies in the dates of the trip.

August 30th is Michael's birthday and Sept. 1 happens to be Grayson's birthday. There is no way I can miss both of these important days, but if I stay home the work side of me will feel like I'm missing out on a professional opportunity as well.

So, I've decided to begin a campaign to lobby for Michael and Grayson to join me on my trip. I would appreciate any arguments that could help me convince my husband that it's worth toting a 12 month old and all his gear on a plane, while spending money he'd rather use for car projects or other things, in addition to having to entertain Grayson while I'm in workshops for two days. I don't think bribing him with homemade strawberry cake upon our return is compelling enough to win him over.

4 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

If you can't be at the party, definitely bring the party to you. That's certainly one option. You could do a big family celebration the next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Tell them it is their "Birthday Trip". I mean, who wouldn't want to spent their birthday in Lake Tahoe? Hehe! Grayson will be kicking off his first birthday in style.

-Aunt Amy

Aaron said...

The fact that I could come over and spend time with you guys during Mikey's 30th birthday and Grayson's 1st is reason enough :)

Anonymous said...

You could always include the grandmother in on the trip to "help" out the birthday boys on the plane trip. I would go with plan B and throw the big party ahead of time. I have been on a plane with a 3 month baby WITH help and it is stressful. I realize it may be one of those stories that you may hear about for the REST of your life by Grayson, but all will be better off with an early celebration. (and Grayson will be fine!!) You on the other hand will have the hardest time. Love you