Saturday, April 5, 2008

Chivalry Isn't Dead

I'm lucky enough to live in a state where men are still chivalrous and boys are taught early on to become gentlemen. On my morning walk from my parking garage to my high-rise office building downtown, it's commonplace to pass several strangers that look you in the eye, smile or even even say "Good morning." 

This is one of reasons we wanted to move back to Oklahoma, and I must say it's inspiring to live in a place where ordinary strangers can put a smile on your face. Just a week ago, Michael and I were commuting to work and passed a twenty-something girl trying to change her flat tire on the side of the interstate during the morning rush. We were in the wrong lane to pull over, but Michael quickly took the nearest exit and made a U-turn to help. 

As we pulled up to help, two other men also stopped to see if she needed assistance. These were not guys trying to land a date, they were just acting on how they had been raised. It turned out the hub cap was damaged making it impossible for the girl to change her own tire, but Michael finally muscled it off, changed the tire and got her back on the road. 

I really didn't think much of the incident other than I'm glad we were in a position to help since I know I'd want someone to stop and help me if the tables were turned. But a few days later I was walking into my office building as a man was coming out. He was quite a bit ahead of me and could have easily kept walking, but instead saw me, turned around and reopened the door until I got there. 

Now that my baby belly is showing, chivalry has reached a whole new level. Strangers go out of their way to carry things for me and my co-workers don't let me get within 2 feet of the dolly for toting travel brochures, much less any boxes. My paper recycle bin barely gets full before someone offers to dump it for me. As an independent woman, my first reaction was to refuse the help and try to do things myself, but then I realized how rude that would be to the thoughtful gestures and the people expressing them. Just because someone offers to help doesn't mean they think you are helpless. 

All of this got me to thinking about our responsibility as a parent to teach our child these same manners and values so that chivalry doesn't die on our watch. I'm sure this is easier said than done, but it's something Michael and I both feel strongly about and I'm confident that there will be plenty of real-world examples to point to if we need reinforcements. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish more parents had your insight. You and Mike are way ahead in the parenting department already. You would be amazed at what I see in the schools.
-LUM

Courtney said...

You and Mike are going to set great examples as parents. I don't have any kids yet, but I think that is a major part of the game.