Friday, April 18, 2008

TGIF

I don't know about you, but I am VERY excited for the weekend! We don't have any big plans which makes it even better.

The weather is supposed to be warm and sunny (finally), my dad is coming to stay with us and do some male bonding with Mike over leaf raking (while I hopefully plant some of my veggies), and Roxy has a date with the vet for her annual shots.

I'm going to take advantage of our vet appointment to get some advice on Roxy's latest behavior patterns. Our vet recently had twins, so I'm sure she can provide pointers on meshing canine kids with human kids.

Our baby hasn't even come yet and Roxy has already gone into Code Red protective mode with her crate. If I look her in the eye or walk directly toward her she'll immediately bolt into her crate regardless of where we are in the house. It's completely abnormal behavior for her (besides the fact that it breaks my heart) since she never used to hang out in her crate without us placing her there (and closing the gate).

When she's in the crate, she'll let you go over and pet her but if you try to pick her up or move her in any way she'll start growling under her breath. This typically results in hours being spent couped up beyond the time she's already in there while we're at work. Mike and I have been making a point to play ball and engage with her more so she'll be active and feel loved, but it's pretty short-lived before she runs off to her safe haven.

Maybe this is the equivalent of her teenage years when she just needs her own space. Guess I should make a peace offering and get her a stereo to crank some crazy music I can't stand.

At any rate, that's what is going on in our world. Hope you all have a safe and relaxing weekend!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I hope you had a nice weekend! What did the vet say about Princess Roxy? Miss you lots - take some pics of yourself and show us what you are workin' with! :)

Courtney said...

Hope your weekend was awesome! Did the vet have some good advice? Chaco has been acting sort of strangle lately also. On a long weekend walk, a patch of mushrooms terrified him! Hope to see you this week.