Monday, April 14, 2008

Name Game

Now that we know we're having a boy, the pressure is on to solidify a baby name. Michael and I have successfully procrastinated this duty for the last 20 weeks but realize it's time to get serious.

When we first found out we were pregnant we poured through baby name books and websites to start a working list of options. Our boy name list is more than double the length of our girl list and just when we cross a name off several more get added.

To compound the issue, we're also debating if we want to make the name public now or wait until the birth. This is probably more difficult for me than Michael, as I am the chatty cathy that can't seem to hold it in (hence, why I am the blogger). To our credit, we were successful overall in keeping our wedding ceremony a surprise, but it was easier since I was living in St. Louis at the time so I didn't have to face my friends and family in person.

On the other hand, I am also afraid of blabbing the name just to turn around and change it once the baby is actually born. This stems from when we went to get Roxy as a puppy. I was dead set on naming her Bella, but once we met her and saw the spunky personality we knew it wasn't the right fit. This meant we had to spend the 2 hour car ride home starting from scratch, but we eventually landed on Roxy and it suits her well.

I'm worried that once the baby comes the same thing will happen and not only will I be exhausted and on a hormonal roller coaster, but we'll also have to start from square one on coming up with a name.

My mom says she needs to know the name ahead of time so she can bond with the baby (which she currently calls Max, even though she didn't like that name when it first made the list). My co-workers call the baby Tres (since Michael is a Jr. and the baby would potentially be Michael III). And my Uncle Sam affectionately refers to him as Baby Sam (wishful thinking). Votes have also been cast for Evan and Andrew (hint: those were also two from the initial list).

So for now we're going to keep it a guessing game (mainly because we haven't decided yet ourselves). But we are accepting suggestions and/or bets on the final name, so let the games begin!

7 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

Probably a good idea to have a few names in your hand so that when you see him, you can pick the one that feels right.

I'll never forget my sister telling everyone they were naming their son Tanner and then up and named him Alex when he was born.

Guy Davis said...

Good luck with your decision. I'd recommend that you keep your choice a secret until you lay eyes on the little one to be sure the name fits.

You might find this map of popular baby names useful. It has the most popular names in Oklahoma as well as many other places.

Erin said...

If you're thinking of a very original name, I would try it out on a few people. I recently heard a story about a couple who kept their daughter's name, Veruka, a surprise. After the baby was born, no one had the heart to tell them Veruka is also the name of a common wart. When they found this out about a year later, they seriously questioned their name choice. Good luck!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keenan said...

Too funny! We are exactly the same way with names. Molly was going to be Lucy for weeks before we met her and it just didn't fit! I think we will throw around a few names to people and then keep it a secret until the big day.

PS- Evan is our #1 boy name right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Although I have already submitted a name or two, I have pondered it further and would like to submit a couple more.

With the baby's last name one where the emphasis is on the last syllable, you are in an enviable position of being able to give your son a rhyming name. Consider these:

Eugene (could always be shortened to Gene). Eugene Vidrine has a nice ring to it! A bonus --- if he ends up being an athlete, fans could call him "Mean Gene" or "Gene the Machine".

The same would hold true for Dean Vidrine. I would not go so far, however, as suggesting Joaquin Vidrine.

If you don't like these for first names, they would also work well in the middle.

--Dadford

Anonymous said...

TheRightBabyName.com has some tools that might be helpful as you assess different names. We've taken the results of a number of scientific studies on perceptions and naming and used them to provide analytical data on 100,000+ names. Check us out and let us know what you think!