Friday, April 4, 2008

Green Thumb

Spring gardening has totally taken over my mind. All I can think about is planning our garden and getting my hands dirty in our flower beds.

My co-workers say it's part of the nesting phase, but really I am just itching to get outside. It's been so cold and rainy here lately that I'm ready for Spring to arrive for good.

Several months back I bought an organic gardening book that shows you what vegetables are compatible with one another and when to plant them. I began making a list of all the things I wanted to try and grow this year. We have an empty stretch of dirt on the side of our house that is calling out for a purpose, so I thought this would be the perfect spot.

Well, I went back to my garden notes a few nights ago (now that I'm pregnant and realize I might not be able to tackle all the crops I was planning), and saw just how ambitious I had been. After narrowing my list by more than half, I've decided to plant asparagus, sweet potatoes, onions and tomatoes. I realize I will need to enlist Michael to help weed once I'm too big, so I threw in cucumbers as extra incentive (one of his favorites!).

I'm also toying with the idea of trying to grow an avocado tree (starting it inside of course until it warms up), but they don't produce for 3-4 years (if ever), so I'm not sure I have the patience for that right now.

I'll keep you posted on our progress. I hope to do a little gardening this weekend if the weather holds out. In the meantime, I started some seeds in a little mini-greenhouse on our windowsill. Fingers crossed they will yield great things.

No comments: