Friday, June 6, 2008

Baby Development Update

I thought I would share some fun facts on the baby's development stages at this point in my pregnancy. These are general facts out of a book, but I think they are cool nonetheless.
  • The baby is now about 9 1/2 inches from crown to rump and weighs approximately 2 lbs. 2 oz.
  • His eye lashes are fully grown
  • The taste buds on his tongue and inside his cheeks are fully functional now (hope he likes BBQ chips)
  • His higher brain functions are becoming more sophisticated
  • His lungs continue to grow but the air sacs lack a vital substance that keeps them inflated so he's still not able to breathe for himself
  • If the baby were born this week, he'd have an 80% chance of survival
The book also says the baby's heartbeat can be heard by anyone putting his/her ear to my abdomen, but I'm not so sure that's true. Mike tried it last night and could hear lots of movement but no heartbeat. Seems like it would be difficult to detect if you were hearing my heartbeat or the baby's. 

At any rate, the baby is so developed now that I have started to notice movement patterns at certain times of day and can even feel different body parts like the head and feet when they are close to the surface. We're having a 4D ultrasound in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see what he looks like and get actual length/weight measurements. I just hope he doesn't have my cheeks :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't knock those cheeks!
LYM