Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cankles

What does 90+ degree heat and 12-14 hour work days get you...cankles. Every night this week I've come home and propped up my feet only to realize I've lost my ankles sometime earlier in the day and my calves seem to run all the way down to my swollen toes.

We've been hosting an annual conference of 130 travel writers from across North America and my job was to organize and staff custom media tours before and after the conference. It's been an incredibly exhausting week for our entire team, but it's also made me realize just how many physical ailments I can no longer ignore. 

Despite the past 7 months of stubbornness in admitting I shouldn't or couldn't do something because of my pregnancy, I'm now realizing I'm not invincible. 

Tomorrow marks my last tour and what I hope is my last 14 hour day while pregnant. I'm driving yet another 15-passenger van up Route 66 to Sapulpa and back. Once that's over around 5 p.m., I'll take another writer to a pow wow in Norman for the evening. 

Random side note: I've never driven a 15-passenger van in my life but I just realized I've somehow have managed to drive one on three separate roadtrips during this pregnancy. How bizarre is that?

Anyway, enough of my whining. That's the latest from here. I hope you all enjoy a laid-back Friday and relaxing weekend. Please say a little prayer that my cankles are only a temporary condition. My ankles may not have been the smallest in the world, but I would like to have them back someday. 

3 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

You probably know this from reading one of your many pregnancy books but drinking water (lots of it) will help with the swelling.

Of course, a sane work day and job responsibilities that don't require a special driver's license also help. :)

Erin said...

Hang in there, Lindsay. I hope this will be your last long workday as well. 14 hours doesn't sound reasonable for anyone, pregnant or not! Quick tip: One of my favorite pregnant summer indulgences was a daily slurpee from my local 7 Eleven. Put your feet up and enjoy one of those. It is amazingly refreshing!

Courtney said...

Lindsay, maybe all your experience with the 15 passenger van is becuase you and Mike are going to have 13 children and you will have to know how to drive one around. Just a thought ;)...hope the cankles and the overtime subside soon!