Sunday, August 10, 2008

30 Days And Counting

Wow, it's hard to believe we're in the final few weeks of this journey. The birth trackers on this blog are set to count down to Sept. 10 (my original due date and now induction date).  I realize the baby could come at any moment, but for some reason I have yet to fully prepare for our trip to the hospital. 

The last time I was a patient in the hospital I was being born. I'd never even stepped foot in the ER as a patient until the first trimester scare we had early on in this pregnancy. 

I've been very good at focusing my time and energy on getting everything ready that doesn't relate to our hospital stay. This means organizing my maternity leave and medical benefits, pediatrician and day care, the nursery, etc.

So today I plan to bite the bullet and get a few things in order like packing our hospital bag and putting the car seat in the car. I don't know why I've been putting this off. I'm not afraid of being in the hospital or even the pain of childbirth, but I am anxious about enduring a ridiculously long labor. This is probably because lately women feel compelled to share their 30+ hour labor stories with me despite reading my body language signaling them to shut up. 

I could be content putting off the hospital bag packing a few more weeks (hey, there's lots of Olympics to watch instead), but I don't want to be scrambling to find my toothbrush holder while also breathing through contractions.  

No comments: