Thursday, August 28, 2008

Occupational Hazard

As many of you know I work in the communications field and frequently deal with members of the press. Usually this means facilitating interviews between our executive staff and reporters, or helping to prep our spokesperson on the relevant talking points -- all while staying behind the scenes as much as possible.

Well, yesterday I realized that pregnancy and my profession are not the best of friends. I received a call from a local TV reporter needing an on-camera interview. Unfortunately our Executive Director was on an airplane and unavailable to do the interview so I had to do it. Again, this isn't typically a big deal except that I'm already packing on the pounds before adding 10 that the camera contributes.

As the camera guy was setting up the shot I asked if he could find an angle that didn't make me look pregnant. While I was mostly joking, the laughing response he provided was just the ego boost any nine month pregnant woman would love.

I didn't get home in time to watch the 5 p.m. newscast which is just as well. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

No comments: