Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mental Nesting

My brain has been working overtime lately creating mental lists of things to do prior to the baby's arrival. This applies to both my home and work environments and I think it's starting to wear down those closest to me (i.e. Mike and the two people I supervise). I realize I'm way over-preparing, but I  just can't seem to stop myself. 

For example, last week I had a "transition" meeting at work to go over the maternity leave plan I created. Well, it only covered the basics and was more than 5 pages long. Did I mention it was an Excel spreadsheet? I knew this would be overwhelming so I tried to distract my colleagues over a great lunch, but I'm not sure it was enough of a diversion because they still think I'm crazy. 

Mike is going through the same ordeal. His honey-do list seems never-ending and while logically I know the baby will not care about the things I'm asking of him, I continue to focus on the most random of tasks and cannot rest until they are completed (like fixing our shredder or touching up wall paint). 

Unfortunately, at this time the nesting instinct has not translated into a physical compulsion to clean house. Just ask Mike's parents who were in town this weekend. Who knows the state they will find our house in by the time the baby comes. Hopefully I can at least get the sheets washed for when they come up again. 

Right now my mind is so focused on other things I'm hoping when we come home from the hospital, all of our visitors will be distracted by the baby and will overlook the neglected chores and piles of laundry. Maybe the cleaning compulsion will kick in before then and I'll get a burst of energy. I just hope my husband and colleagues will still be speaking to me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you read a book, it might help the anxiety and craziness. It worked for the wedding plans
love yall jen