Friday, August 15, 2008

We're Officially Crazy

At this late stage of pregnancy, most advice warns against making any hasty decisions that you may later regret. For example, getting a drastically different haircut or making large financial decisions.

True to form, Michael and I have decided not to heed this advice and jumped head first into what I would consider a big decision...selling his car.

For the last few years Michael has been scheming ways to get his hands on an 80s model BMW to have as a "project car." Even though we commute together 90% of the time in my car and his Accord sits in our garage most days, we still need a second car at times and I don't want one up on blocks constantly getting worked on. After much back and forth, we agreed if he sold his Accord and found a decent BMW that is reliable but still offers small "projects" for him to do we would both be happy.

So earlier this week he decided to list his car on Craigslist and then planned to take some pictures this weekend to create an AutoTrader listing. I really didn't take all of this very seriously because he's tried to sell his car in the past to no avail.

Well, wouldn't you know he sold the car last night before he even listed it on AutoTrader and I have to say I wasn't emotionally prepared for it. His car was the first big purchase we made as a married couple and as official "adults" so it was a bit of a sentimental loss.

Now the tricky part comes in purchasing his project car. He's located the perfect one online, but the catch is it's in South Carolina and I'm in no state for him to be traveling across the country to buy the vehicle. So the next step is to cook up a plan for my dad (a car aficionado and frequent co-conspirator with my husband) to go check out the car and possibly drive it back for us.

While it thrills me to no end to see how excited all of this makes Michael, I have to say we are officially crazy for taking all of this on three weeks (or less) before our baby's arrival. Of course, Michael is making phone calls to the bank and checking flight schedules for my dad with unmatched fervor. He's even daydreaming of tinkering out in the garage with his son right beside him.

So say a little prayer that all of this works out in the end. Right now I'm beginning to think we should be sent to the nut house for self-inflicting such craziness into our lives.

No comments: