Monday, August 18, 2008

Fire Drill

This morning we woke up to what we thought might be D-Day (as in Delivery Day). Well, it turned out to be a false alarm but not before we had a practice run packing, driving and checking in to the hospital. 

When we were learning about the stages of labor in childbirth class, I kept telling myself it all seemed so clear and I wouldn't be one of "those" women who went to the hospital only to be told it wasn't time. Well, that's exactly what happened this morning.

While disappointing, the exercise did give us insight into how Michael and I would react when "the time" finally arrives. Throughout my braxton hicks over the last week and more severe contractions last night he has been very calm, attentive and accommodating. I was a bit surprised by how frantic he was this morning when we thought my water may have broken and we needed to get ready and finish packing our hospital bag. 

Michael kept checking and rechecking our hospital bag list and was like a whirlwind around the house getting Roxy some food and water, gathering phone chargers and doing anything and everything he could think of in record time. Meanwhile, I got dressed and calmly sent a few emails alerting work, then sat back and watched Michael's blood pressure rise. 

After getting an inside look at the triage unit of the birth center, our fire drill was complete and we returned home with no baby. I don't regret going to get things checked out, but I also hope we don't  continue going through these false alarms for another three weeks. It's an emotional and physical roller coaster I hope we don't have to ride. 

2 comments:

Courtney said...

My heart skipped a beat when I got that email today! Sorry about the false alarm, but the practice doesn't hurt, right?

Me? A Mom? said...

Did you wet yourself?! THat's what I thought I'd done when my water broke. LOL

Got a kick out of the excel spreadsheet post. I, of course, completely can relate to you. Type A's unite!